Strawberry DonutsFeb 11, 2021
These healthified strawberry donuts have a cake-like texture and are super simple to whip up on a weekend morning. This recipe uses a Greek yogurt glaze for the icing, but they're delicious without.
Makes 6 donuts.
1 cup almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
Zest of one lemon (optional)
1 cup frozen strawberries, defrosted and drained (save the strawberry juice!)
Reserved strawberry juice
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and sea salt until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, vanilla and optional (although HIGHLY recommended!) almond extract and lemon zest. Pour into the large bowl with dry ingredients, and stir just until combined.
- Squeeze out any excess moisture from the defrosted strawberries, setting aside the leftover strawberry juice for the icing. Chop or blend the strawberries until no large chunks remain, and fold into the dough until evenly mixed.
- Spray your donut pain VERY well, and spread your batter until the slots are about 3/4 full. You can also use a zip lock bag with a snipped corner or pastry bag if you're feeling fancy.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the edges just start to turn golden brown.
- Let cool completely before removing from the pan. Use a butter knife to help you gently pry them out, if necessary. At this point, you can store in the fridge three days, freeze for two months, or ice them and serve right away.
- Combine yogurt and leftover strawberry juice until smooth. Give it a taste, and add 1 tsp of real maple syrup if you want a little more sweetness.
- Dip cooled donuts into the icing, and top with sprinkles or crumbled freeze dried strawberries.
Dairy-free icing ideas:
Use almond or coconut Greek-style yogurt, or melted chocolate chip drizzle would also be delish!
No donut pan?
Bake in muffin tins, and increase baking time to 18-20 minutes, or until edges start to turn golden brown and the tops are fully cooked.